|Bells:||Ring of 8 bells (8-0-21 / 416kg) in the key of A.|
|Dedication:||St Thomas of Canterbury.|
|Location:||OS map ref. SU 597807 (map 175)|
Click to view map.
|Parking:||The church is next to the old Mill in Goring and very close to the River Thames. There is no public parking near to the church. Park in the side roads off the main street, or in the public car park some ¼ mile east of the church (for which a small charge is made).|
|Access/Height:||Enter by the west door of the church and turn left, ascend the spiral staircase, then turn left along a low corridor (mind your head). The ringing chamber has a skylight to give light from the window openings in the tower. Draught is average.|
|Service ringing:||Sunday mornings - 9.00 am to 9.30 am, Sunday evenings by arrangement.|
|Practice ringing:||Wednesday evenings - 7:45pm to 9:15pm|
The practice is held jointly with Streatley.
|Facilities:||A Ringing Simulator is available on all 8 bells. There is a small kitchen area in the base of the tower and up a few steps, and also a toilet. There are also public toilets in the public car park ¼ mile away.|
|Belfry fittings:||The clappers are tied with ropes when the simulator is in use.|
© 200 PB
|Bell details:||No.||Weight cwt qr lb||Note||Date Cast||Founder||Inscription|
|1||3-0-4||A||1929||Mears & Stainbank||CAST 1929 : M & S. LONDON|
|2||3-1-4||G#||1929||Mears & Stainbank||CAST 1889. RECAST 1929 : M & S. LONDON|
|3||3-3-9||F#||1929||Mears & Stainbank||THXS BELL WAS MADE X626 : RECAST 1929 : M & S. LONDON|
|4||4-0-26||E||1929||Mears & Stainbank||CAST 1929 : M & S. LONDON|
|5||4-3-16||D||1929||Mears & Stainbank||CAST 1929 : M & S. LONDON|
|6||5-1-2||C#||1929||Mears & Stainbank||Sancte Blasi : RECAST 1929 : M & S. LONDON|
|7||7-0-6||B||1929||Mears & Stainbank||PRAXES YE THE LORD X624 : RECAST 1929 : M & S. LONDON|
|8||8-0-21||A||1929||Mears & Stainbank||CAST 1929. : MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON.|
The current ring of 8 bells was recast and rehung by Mears & Stainbank of Whitechapel in 1929.
The service bell is hung for chiming; it was the 3rd of the ring of 6 which was replaced in 1929. It was cast by Ellis Knight I in 1630, and weighs approx. 3cwt-1qr. The inscription is 'LOVE GOD'.
The 4th of the former ring was moved from the belfry in 1929
and hung in church above the tower arch. Around the
shoulder of the bell above its inscription band is a narrow flat
moulding of a type common in the 14th century. It is a
maiden casting with a strike note of D natural, and weighs
approx. 4cwt. It is 29" in diameter, and 23" high from
lip to shoulder. It dates from c. 1290 and is one of the
few surviving bells cast by Richard de Wymbish (there is another
in Cholsey). The inscription reads:
The former 5th was cast by John Saunders in around 1556 and is dedicated at St Blaise.
© Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2011 - Reading Banch